Frequently Asked Questions
Every professional team who loses time and money with the ever growing chaos of documents and E-mail
spread around the organization, and who want to boost their productivity and become compliant!
Whether you are a corporate legal team, a law firm, a procurement, HR, engineering, QHSE, IT or sales team,
you can benefit from the user friendly and intelligent platform of Knowliah. Knowliah will support you in the
capture, classification and management of documents and Email, the management of matters/cases and all
related information, and the search for and re-use of information, whenever needed, and wherever stored.
You can store all types of information in Knowliah: documents of all types, including pictures and video’s,
Emails, Wiki’s and structured data sheets for Matter/Case, Contact or Company related information.
All these information types are interrelated objects, enriched with meta-data, enabling smart features.
Most commonly, our users are using Knowliah to store contracts, litigation, claims, advices, corporate,
compliance and project related information, and knowledge.
Knowliah offers Hosting Cloud Services in a European based GDPR compliant, secured and ISO27001 certified
datacentre, with regular back-ups and replication in a datacentre on another location, depending on the
Knowliah also offers on-premise installations on your own servers or data centre. Contact us to learn more on
the Knowliah installation requirements.
- For the Knowliah Web Server: a (virtual) front-end server is required
- For the Knowliah Intelligence Server: a (virtual) back-end server is required
- For the Knowliah Database Server: the Vault (i.e. the place where the documents are stored) can be placed on a performing network disk (NAS of SAN). The database server can be shared with other databases, and are installed on a shared MS SQL Server.
Besides intelligent and very powerful search across all information in the Knowliah database, as an option,
and when connectors are available, you can also search across all documents and Email on your existing
Shared Drives, MS SharePoint sites or any other document library, even websites.
Contact us to learn more on Knowliah’s search connectors.
Knowliah offers different ways of reporting:
- Dashboards on your home page
- Excel reports of virtual folders, based on meta-data, across all information
- Excel reports based on all captured data in the Matter/Case sheets
- Log & audit trail reports on who did what when
- Integration with other Reporting & BI tools
Contact us to learn more our reporting capabilities.
Very very low, almost zero effort!
Knowliah supports you in many ways in reducing time and needed discipline for the classification of
documents and Email:
- Documents can simply be drag & dropped, or automatically be picked up where they are left. Depending on the type of information and where you or another system like ERP or CRM drops it, in Knowliah dropzones, and/or in designated folders on your network environment, you will have the possibility to validate the meta-data that Knowliah attributes automatically, based on a combination of intelligent algorithms, even for scanned documents.
- The same is possible for E-mails, but to make it even more easier, you don’t have to leave your E-mail environment anymore to automatically and correctly archive E-mails, and their attachments in Knowliah, where Emails and there attachments (also scanned documents) are full-text searchable:
- If using MS Outlook, just drag & drop Emails from your inbox to the Outlook folders of your choice, where Knowliah will automatically pick-up the Emails, including their attachments, and automatically classifying and securing them in the right Matters/Cases, if needed, in Knowliah.
- If using Google Mail, just tag your Emails correctly, and they will automatically be classified and secured in the right Matters/Cases, if needed, in Knowliah.
- Knowliah can also support you in the migration of your relevant legacy information to Knowliah, automating the process almost entirely.
Learn more about the unique and powerful auto-classification engines of Knowliah.
On average 3 months, between Kick-off and Go-live.
Our customers appreciate the fact that Knowliah is not a toolbox, but a pre-configured yet customizable,
ready-to-use application, based on international best practices. That way the implementation phase is limited
When needed, the Knowliah platform is designed is such a way to be flexible and adaptable to you specific
Learn more on our implementation approach.
Usually 1 training session of 3 hours, with a repeat session after a few months, is sufficient.
Since the platform is very intuitive and simple to use, even manuals are often not needed. The application is
based on best practices in information governance of our user community, combined with tips and tricks on
Knowliah offers end-user training, administrator training and train-the-trainer.
Contact us for a demo to see for yourself how easy to use Knowliah is!
Technical and functional support services are included in the yearly Maintenance, both for cloud hosting and
These Support services during CET office hours include:
- Help Desk service with tracking incidents via email: email@example.com
- Service requests on technical items following priority levels and indicated resolution times
- Updates with urgent bug fixes
- Upgrades and major releases
- Basic modifications to the configuration
- Functional Q&A “How to work with”
- Internal Knowledge Transfer
Hotline support services support in other time zones and up to 24/7 support services are available upon
Contact us to learn more about our Support Services and SLA’s.
If you opt for Cloud Hosting, instead of an on-premise installation where your information is protected in a
Knowliah database based on your security configuration, Knowliah meets the highest international security
standards. All your data is stored in individual and dedicated databases, in a European based GDPR compliant,
secured and ISO27001 certified datacentre, with regular back-ups and replication in a datacentre on another
location, depending on the chosen SLA. All your data is encrypted while it’s being sent over the internet.
Contact us for more details on user authentication and authorization.
Authentication is based on the user authentication chosen by you. Potential Authentication is based on a
chosen Authentication provider (not combinable):
|On premise||Knowliah Cloud|
|MS SQL authentication implemented in Knowliah||X||X|
|MS Active Directory||X|
|MS Azure Active Directory||X|
|Custom Federated Authentication Service (Authority)||X|
You are in control of the Authentication rules and policies or in Knowliah or in the chosen Authentication
Authorisation is based on access and usage rules configured within the Knowliah platform.
- The designated customer Administrator is in control of these security rules.
- Authorisation security rules are defined on groups of users or on individual users
- Authorisation security rules can be distinctive on Access, Create, Modify, Delete levels
- Context classification (fully automated, validated or manual) is the core of the Knowliah platform, and provides the required meta-data to define security rules.
- Thanks to the context based Knowliah security, the security granularity is organised/results on item level; this is per document, e-mail or Matter/Case.
- Each item (document, e-mail or Matter/Case) has an initial author as owner of the item
- All content-based security business rules from the Knowliah/platform are inherited from the server.
Contact us for more details.
Knowliah offers different levels of support, going from basic to extended and custom support, for the
migration of content to Knowliah. The content to migrate can be documents and files of all types and E-mails
or structured data from old applications. For scanned documents to migrate, Knowliah can automatically
apply OCR (Optical Character Recognition) on them, to make the text accessible.
Contact us for more details.
If you opt for Cloud Hosting, instead of an on-premise installation where Knowliah has no built-in limitations,
the standard storage capacity includes 100 Gb. Extra storage is of course possible, and comes with a full
service package. Some examples of options:
- Storage on high speed SSD drives
- Strict firewall settings, with daily updates on virus checks
- Hourly back-ups, with 1 week retention, in a second Tier3 Data Centre
- Unlimited upload and unlimited download
- Unlimited data interchange between virtual servers and between main and back-up data centre
- Monitoring services on hard- and software
Contact us for more details and pricing.
If you opt for Cloud Hosting, instead of an on-premise installation where all data remains within your
organization and you are in control of it, Knowliah meets the highest international security standards as a
data processor. All your data is stored in individual and dedicated databases, in a European based GDPR
compliant, secured and ISO27001 certified datacentre. All your data is encrypted while it’s being sent over
To ensure compliancy with the GDPR, all required service levels are covered in a Data Privacy Agreement
Furthermore Knowliah offers specific GDPR solutions, for Cloud and On-premise installations, to detect,
classify and process GDPR sensitive data in your organisations.
Learn more on the topic of GDPR or contact us for more details.
For an on-premise installation you can choose:
- documents are stored in a "BLOB" (Binary Library Object) in the Microsoft SQL database server
- documents are stored in a dedicated and secured Knowliah Vault (folder structure). The Microsoft SQL database server refers to that Vault respecting all security provisions.
For a Cloud installation, documents are always stored in a dedicated and secured Knowliah Vault. The
Microsoft SQL database server (in the Knowliah datacenter) refers to that Vault respecting all security
Contact us for more details on Knowliah’s approach when it comes to security.
Knowliah seamlessly integrates and connects with your existing environment. There is no downtime and
other programs will continue to work like before.
Knowliah’s open architecture offers different types of connections and integrations with other systems to
ensure that the best method can be chosen for your specific use case:
- Knowliah look-up & Enrich: based on one or more attributed meta-data on a document or E-mail,
- Knowliah can automatically look-up data in another primary application (containing the Master Data),and enrich the document or E-mail with it by attributing additional meta-data.
- Knowliah Web API: to enable other applications like CRM/ERP applications to use functions and features from the Knowliah platform
- Knowliah HotFolder: very flexible and easily installable integration whereby Knowliah automatically captures and processes documents and e-mails that are saved in a folder on a shared drive.
- Connectors to upload or search for information:
- Document management systems
- File servers (Shared drives)
- Dropbox Professional
- Google Drive
- Microsoft OneDrive
- Microsoft SharePoint
- E-mail servers like Microsoft Outlook/Exchange and Gmail
- Other Connectors: are easy to build thanks to the Knowliah Connector Framework
Contact us to find out more about Knowliah integrating with your software environment and applications.
Knowliah can capture E-mails for you:
Your individual and/or shared mailboxes can be connected with Knowliah to automatically archive, secure,
process and classify Emails along with their attachments, without you having to change the way you are
working with Emails!
If using MS Outlook, just drag & drop Emails from your inbox to the Outlook folders of your choice, where
Knowliah will automatically pick-up the Emails, including their attachments, and automatically classifying and
securing them in the right Matters/Cases, if needed, in Knowliah.
If using Google Mail, just tag your Emails correctly, and they will automatically be classified and secured in the
right Matters/Cases, if needed, in Knowliah.
In any case you keep full control on which Emails are processed or not by Knowliah.
Contact us to receive our Customer Configuration Questionnaire for E-mail, containing all necessary
Knowliah can send E-mails:
You can send mails from Knowliah, including attachments or secure links to documents. Knowliah can also
automatically send E-mails as notifications and reports.
You want to see this in action? Contact us for a demo.
We distinguish 2 different use cases:
- OCR of the legacy: historical documents
- Operational OCR: new documents added to the Knowliah application
OCR of the legacy:
To OCR all present pdf documents that have not been OCR-ed yet, we offer the possibility to use Knowliah
OCR-Backlog tool. This means that all historical documents are uploaded in the Knowliah Repository.
Knowliah will detect which pdf documents have not yet been OCR-ed yet. Those documents are then again
exported to a folder, where they can be OCR-ed (by you or Knowliah),before being imported again.
There are 3 options:
- The Knowliah OCR-Backlog tool is implemented as a scheduled service. This means that every night all non-OCR-ed documents, also Email attachments, are exported, OCR-ed and put back. This implies that:
- The OCR is done by the multifunctional itself, the documents are sent to a folder where Knowliah picks up the documents, or by mail to the user, who can then drop the document in Knowliah. If users want to have documents OCR-ed that they receive by mail for example, this option needs to be combined with the 3rd option hereunder.
- The scanned documents are sent to a folder, where also non-OCR-ed documents can be dropped (for example documents received from 3rd parties by mail in attachment, or scanned non-OCR-ed documents received by mail from the MFC). These documents are OCR-ed your OCR tool, or via the Knowliah service. Once OCR-ed, the documents will be uploaded by Knowliah.
The first option is perceived as being the most simple one for the end-user. In this case you do not have to
make any distinction between documents that are OCR-ed, and others that are not. You just drop, and the
system will detect whether the document is OCR-ed, and if not Knowliah will do it for you.
Contact us for more details and pricing.
As an option we can integrate tools like Dioss SigningHub, DocuSign and Adobe Sign, or other e-signing or e-sealing tools, in Knowliah.
Contact us for more details and pricing.
Knowliah developed intelligent engines to support you in storing and classifying documents and Email, and
searching and finding them. This way we reduce the time you spend in doing these tasks by at least 50%.
These powerful engines rely on a unique combination of different algorithms to automatically define and
attribute meta-data to documents and email. The auto-classification by Knowliah is not limited to adding
default values on a folder!
An example of some of the used algorithms by Knowliah to obtain a maximized accuracy:
- Artificial Intelligence (AI)
- Natural Language Processing (NLP)
- Cognitive Computing (CC)
- Neural Networks (NN)
Via supervised self-learning mechanisms your Knowliah application becomes smarter just by using it.
Accuracy varies between 50% and 97% depending on the available content and fine-tuning of the
configuration of the Knowliah auto-classification engine.
Learn more about auto-classification.
Amongst other document management and collaboration functionalities, Knowliah offers serial and parallel workflows with the Workflow Module, such as approval flows, revision flows and Matter/Case flows.
All involved stakeholders are notified in their Knowliah portal and via Email, and can be granted full access to
the related information of the context of the workflow.
Contact us for a demo.
Knowliah allows you to export all your content by yourself via de basket functionality. Should you wish to also
export all the by Knowliah added meta-data in XML format, or have all content exported in a specific
structure, we will assist you in doing so.
Contact us for more details.
Yes you can!
We activate your Knowliah solution in the Knowliah Cloud, based on a standard configuration, and send you your login.
To populate your application, you can provide us with a set of documents and Emails along with their classification criteria, and if applicable, a list of Matters, all delivered in a specific format we will provide you with. All your data will be treated with the highest security standards and returned to you after the agreed testing period.
Custom Proof of Concept projects are possible as well, based on a fixed price.
Book your Knowliah Trial now.
The pricing of setting-up a Knowliah solution depends on 4 main elements:
On-premise installation on your server or hosted in Knowliah’s Belgian based data center (Cloud)
One-time usage license fee and yearly maintenance (on premise or hosted),OR monthly renting, including
maintenance services (on-premise),OR Software as a Service (hosted)
(Pre-configured) Solution with its optional modules AND number of users (full contributors and viewers)
Management and governance track, AND implementation and migration track, AND roll-out preparation and